If you’re a teacher, it pays to pursue your graduate degree. With an MA in TESOL or a Master of Education degree, doors will open to you like never before. Don’t be put off by the potential cost: although expensive, there are many ways of managing the fees including financial aid and grants available either directly from the Government or from the school or university you’re applying to.
Here are five reasons that you should go back to school for an advanced graduate degree:
1. NCLB – hiring highly-qualified teachers
NCLB requires that schools hire highly-qualified teachers. For many schools, this means hiring teachers who have earned their Master’s degree. If you want to have a better choice of schools in which to teach, having an advanced degree offers those options. Schools receive more federal funding when they employ highly-qualified teachers, and more funding means more supplies, extra-curricular activities, and a better learning environment.
2. School hiring requirements
Once you are hired as an entry-level teacher, your school may set you a time limit and give you just a few years in which to earn an MA or MEd. This will be explained to you during the hiring process. For most teachers, a master’s degree must be earned within five years of their hire date. If you have any questions as to whether your school requires you to earn an advanced degree, speak to your principal for clarification.
3. Keep up to date with the latest teaching knowledge
As a teacher, you are aware of the importance of education and lifelong learning. Instruction styles change and educational trends evolve. By going back to school for your degree, you will be kept abreast of these changes. Master’s programs teach teachers how to teach. Emphasis is placed on pedagogy and educational technology. Students today learn with multiple literacies, it is no longer sufficient to teach solely from a textbook and a white board.
4. Students Benefit from a Better Teacher
By earning your Master’s, you become a better teacher. The people who benefit from this improvement in your skills are your students. Students who are taught by highly-qualified teachers learn more, absorb more and develop a greater love for school. Consider who you would want teaching your own friends or family. Most people would prefer a teacher who is considered an expert in his or her field (read more about the specialist subjects).
5. Moving On
Whether you want to be an administrator or a college professor, an MA or MEd will help with your career progression. Principals and other members of the administration staff are required to have an advanced degree. The same can be said for college professors. When you earn your graduate degree, you can pick up a side job as a college professor and earn more money.
If you have been thinking about pursuing your Masters of Education, there is no time like the present. The sooner you begin, the sooner you will graduate. When you pursue and earn your degree, you are not the only one to benefit; your students reap the rewards as well.
Accredited Schools offering Masters in Education Programs
- Choose from 16 education degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
- Explore different facets of education, including curriculum development, administration, early childhood education, special education, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for bachelor’s programs and 6 weeks for master’s programs.
- Ashford University is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction
- MA Early Childhood Education Leadership
- And more...
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- M.Ed. in Elementary Education (Leads to initial teacher licensure)
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education
- B.S. in Child Studies
- A.S. in Early Childhood Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education (Non-Licensure)
- PHD: Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
For more information, consult the American Federation of Teachers website.