If you’re a teacher, it pays to pursue your graduate degree. With an MA in TESOL or a Master of Education degree, doors will open to you like never before. Don’t be put off by the potential cost: although expensive, there are many ways of managing the fees including financial aid and grants available either directly from the Government or from the school or university you’re applying to.
Here are five reasons that you should go back to school for an advanced graduate degree:
1. NCLB – hiring highly-qualified teachers
NCLB requires that schools hire highly-qualified teachers. For many schools, this means hiring teachers who have earned their Master’s degree. If you want to have a better choice of schools in which to teach, having an advanced degree offers those options. Schools receive more federal funding when they employ highly-qualified teachers, and more funding means more supplies, extra-curricular activities, and a better learning environment.
2. School hiring requirements
Once you are hired as an entry-level teacher, your school may set you a time limit and give you just a few years in which to earn an MA or MEd. This will be explained to you during the hiring process. For most teachers, a master’s degree must be earned within five years of their hire date. If you have any questions as to whether your school requires you to earn an advanced degree, speak to your principal for clarification.
3. Keep up to date with the latest teaching knowledge
As a teacher, you are aware of the importance of education and lifelong learning. Instruction styles change and educational trends evolve. By going back to school for your degree, you will be kept abreast of these changes. Master’s programs teach teachers how to teach. Emphasis is placed on pedagogy and educational technology. Students today learn with multiple literacies, it is no longer sufficient to teach solely from a textbook and a white board.
4. Students Benefit from a Better Teacher
By earning your Master’s, you become a better teacher. The people who benefit from this improvement in your skills are your students. Students who are taught by highly-qualified teachers learn more, absorb more and develop a greater love for school. Consider who you would want teaching your own friends or family. Most people would prefer a teacher who is considered an expert in his or her field (read more about the specialist subjects).
5. Moving On
Whether you want to be an administrator or a college professor, an MA or MEd will help with your career progression. Principals and other members of the administration staff are required to have an advanced degree. The same can be said for college professors. When you earn your graduate degree, you can pick up a side job as a college professor and earn more money.
If you have been thinking about pursuing your Masters of Education, there is no time like the present. The sooner you begin, the sooner you will graduate. When you pursue and earn your degree, you are not the only one to benefit; your students reap the rewards as well.
Accredited Schools offering Masters in Education Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- B.S. in Child Studies
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction
- MA Early Childhood Education Leadership
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- MS - Teaching and Learning
For more information, consult the American Federation of Teachers website.