Teaching English can be an enjoyable and rewarding career. This is a field with growing opportunities around the world, so it’s a good time to get involved. Getting a place in the graduate school of your choice takes a little preparation and planning. To make sure that you are successful in applying for your distance learning or online Masters in TESOL course, here are our top five tips:
If you want to be accepted into a TESOL Master’s program in the U.S., there are certain factors of which you should be a aware. Here are five tips to keep in mind when applying.
1. Decide What Your Focus Will Be for your Masters in TESOL
Most MATESOL programs focus on either teaching children or adults. These are two very different experiences, so it’s a good idea to make up your mind which you would prefer. This will have a major impact on your TESOL career.
Some people enjoy teaching young learners, while others are more comfortable teaching adults. There is a strong demand for both types of TESOL teachers, so you can choose based on your own preference.
2. Choose the Right School
There are many TESOL programs. With some you will be taking traditional classes, while others are web based. It’s important to choose an institution that is properly accredited, as well as one that meets your needs in other ways. Find an accredited school now!
You should do plenty of research before applying for a TESOL program. Finding the best school will help you succeed.
3. Hone Your Essay Writing Skills
When applying for a TESOL or any MA program, you will usually be required to write an essay. This is something that you should put plenty of thought into. Make sure it is well written and free of grammatical or spelling errors.
You may want to have someone proofread your essay before submitting your application. Aside from being grammatically correct, it should also be compelling and explain why you think you would make a good TESOL teacher.
4.Take the Right Classes in Preparation for Applying
If you are still an undergraduate student, you can improve your chances of being accepted into a TESOL program by taking the right kind of classes now. This includes teaching, English and foreign language courses as well as any classes that are specifically designed to prepare you for a TESOL career.
5. Have a Financial Plan
Financial factors must be considered when applying for any type of graduate program. This will ensure that you can afford the tuition, and it may play a part in determining whether or not you are accepted. You should apply for financial aid at the right type, including any loans you might need.
Every college and university, for example Walden College, has its own tuition and financial aid requirements. Don’t neglect the possibility of applying for scholarships. If you are on a restrictive budget, you can often save money by completing your degree partly or completely online. Making the right financial preparations can help you focus on your studies without undue concern about finances.
A Masters in TESOL Can Prepare You For a Great Career
Applying for a TESOL MA program can help you prepare for a rewarding teaching career. The above steps can improve your chances for being admitted into a program.
Accredited Schools Offering Masters in TESOL Programs
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Transformative Practices for English Language Learners
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Online Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Ed (CA only)
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Graduate Certificate in Online Teaching
- Master of Education
- Master of Education / Online Teaching
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- B.A. Art with Teaching Certification PK-12
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- MS - Education
- One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo University offers over 50 accredited undergraduate degrees, programs and endorsements as well as master's and doctoral programs.
- Saint Leo’s undergraduate and graduate online degree programs prepare you to take advantage of growing career opportunities in a variety of in-demand fields.
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Saint Leo offers a 14:1 Student-Teacher Ratio to ensure you get the personal attention you deserve.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited degree today!
- MEd: Instructional Leadership & Reading
- MEd: Educational Leadership
- MS: Instructional Design
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Urban Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- Associate of Arts: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
For more information, see the American TESOL Institute