Teaching English can be an enjoyable and rewarding career. This is a field with growing opportunities around the world, so it’s a good time to get involved. Getting a place in the graduate school of your choice takes a little preparation and planning. To make sure that you are successful in applying for your distance learning or online Masters in TESOL course, here are our top five tips:
If you want to be accepted into a TESOL Master’s program in the U.S., there are certain factors of which you should be a aware. Here are five tips to keep in mind when applying.
1. Decide What Your Focus Will Be for your Masters in TESOL
Most MATESOL programs focus on either teaching children or adults. These are two very different experiences, so it’s a good idea to make up your mind which you would prefer. This will have a major impact on your TESOL career.
Some people enjoy teaching young learners, while others are more comfortable teaching adults. There is a strong demand for both types of TESOL teachers, so you can choose based on your own preference.
2. Choose the Right School
There are many TESOL programs. With some you will be taking traditional classes, while others are web based. It’s important to choose an institution that is properly accredited, as well as one that meets your needs in other ways. Find an accredited school now!
You should do plenty of research before applying for a TESOL program. Finding the best school will help you succeed.
3. Hone Your Essay Writing Skills
When applying for a TESOL or any MA program, you will usually be required to write an essay. This is something that you should put plenty of thought into. Make sure it is well written and free of grammatical or spelling errors.
You may want to have someone proofread your essay before submitting your application. Aside from being grammatically correct, it should also be compelling and explain why you think you would make a good TESOL teacher.
4.Take the Right Classes in Preparation for Applying
If you are still an undergraduate student, you can improve your chances of being accepted into a TESOL program by taking the right kind of classes now. This includes teaching, English and foreign language courses as well as any classes that are specifically designed to prepare you for a TESOL career.
5. Have a Financial Plan
Financial factors must be considered when applying for any type of graduate program. This will ensure that you can afford the tuition, and it may play a part in determining whether or not you are accepted. You should apply for financial aid at the right type, including any loans you might need.
Every college and university, for example Walden College, has its own tuition and financial aid requirements. Don’t neglect the possibility of applying for scholarships. If you are on a restrictive budget, you can often save money by completing your degree partly or completely online. Making the right financial preparations can help you focus on your studies without undue concern about finances.
A Masters in TESOL Can Prepare You For a Great Career
Applying for a TESOL MA program can help you prepare for a rewarding teaching career. The above steps can improve your chances for being admitted into a program.
Accredited Schools Offering Masters in TESOL Programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Teaching English as a Second Language
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
For more information, see the American TESOL Institute