Teaching English can be an enjoyable and rewarding career. This is a field with growing opportunities around the world, so it’s a good time to get involved. Getting a place in the graduate school of your choice takes a little preparation and planning. To make sure that you are successful in applying for your distance learning or online Masters in TESOL course, here are our top five tips:
If you want to be accepted into a TESOL Master’s program in the U.S., there are certain factors of which you should be a aware. Here are five tips to keep in mind when applying.
1. Decide What Your Focus Will Be for your Masters in TESOL
Most MATESOL programs focus on either teaching children or adults. These are two very different experiences, so it’s a good idea to make up your mind which you would prefer. This will have a major impact on your TESOL career.
Some people enjoy teaching young learners, while others are more comfortable teaching adults. There is a strong demand for both types of TESOL teachers, so you can choose based on your own preference.
2. Choose the Right School
There are many TESOL programs. With some you will be taking traditional classes, while others are web based. It’s important to choose an institution that is properly accredited, as well as one that meets your needs in other ways. Find an accredited school now!
You should do plenty of research before applying for a TESOL program. Finding the best school will help you succeed.
3. Hone Your Essay Writing Skills
When applying for a TESOL or any MA program, you will usually be required to write an essay. This is something that you should put plenty of thought into. Make sure it is well written and free of grammatical or spelling errors.
You may want to have someone proofread your essay before submitting your application. Aside from being grammatically correct, it should also be compelling and explain why you think you would make a good TESOL teacher.
4.Take the Right Classes in Preparation for Applying
If you are still an undergraduate student, you can improve your chances of being accepted into a TESOL program by taking the right kind of classes now. This includes teaching, English and foreign language courses as well as any classes that are specifically designed to prepare you for a TESOL career.
5. Have a Financial Plan
Financial factors must be considered when applying for any type of graduate program. This will ensure that you can afford the tuition, and it may play a part in determining whether or not you are accepted. You should apply for financial aid at the right type, including any loans you might need.
Every college and university, for example Walden College, has its own tuition and financial aid requirements. Don’t neglect the possibility of applying for scholarships. If you are on a restrictive budget, you can often save money by completing your degree partly or completely online. Making the right financial preparations can help you focus on your studies without undue concern about finances.
A Masters in TESOL Can Prepare You For a Great Career
Applying for a TESOL MA program can help you prepare for a rewarding teaching career. The above steps can improve your chances for being admitted into a program.
Accredited Schools Offering Masters in TESOL Programs
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS: Teaching English as a Second Language
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Student Services (Non-Licensure)
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education (Non-Licensure)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.A. in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Master of Science in Biology with an Emphasis in Education
- Master of Science in Chemistry with an Emphasis in Education
- And more...
- Topped the list as Best Online Bachelor’s Program in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
- Regent is ranked among Top National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, 2019.
- Flexible online, on-campus and evening courses offered in 135 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Regent is recognized among Top #10 Military Friendly Schools by Military Friendly®, 2019.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $24 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid in 2017-18.
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
For more information, see the American TESOL Institute