Walden University is a well respected college that provides distance learning through online teaching including its online MA in TESOL. In the Government league tables, Walden has moved up and in the last survey was 17th in the country.
Walden’s teacher program focuses on four main themes:
- Teacher professionalism and behaviors that contribute to the highest level of teacher performance.
- Cultural and linguistic diversity and the skills needed to adapt to various learning and language styles.
- Supportive learning environments that builds a community to help motivate and engage students.
- Teachers working as facilitators for learning and instructional leaders.
For more information, request a free information pack from Walden University to find out more about its range of language courses leading to a Masters degree.
Online Masters in Education Program
Walden’s Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching English Language Learners provides you with strategies that can help you meet and deal with the needs of ELL students. The course has been developed to reflect professional guidelines set out by the industry’s main association (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages: TESOL), which leads to a specialist graduate degree helping you create K–12 learning environments that are effective for all your future students and classroom activities.
If you enrol to this specialization, you will:
- Learn strategies to identify and assess your student’s language proficencies
- Learn how to adapt your teaching techniques and how to build course materials for your students.
- Explore ways to enhance collaboration between ELL students and staff members.
- Design learning environments that are appropriate for a diverse range of students.
The syllabus includes core courses and specialisms:
- Teacher as a professional
- Designing curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Differentiated instruction
- Action research for educators
- Creating an effective classroom learning environment
- Dynamic teacher leadership
- Understanding the English Language Learner
- Strategies for Teaching English as a Second Language
- Strategies for Teaching Content to English Language Learners
- Assessment and the English Language Learner
Online Masters Completion Requirements
- 30 total semester credit hours
- Estimated time to completion is 20 months but this may vary by student, depending on individual progress and credits transferred, if applicable.
Fees for an Online Masters Program
- The program costs will depend a little on the number of semester credit hours you complete, but can be broken down as:
- 30-36 semester credit hours at a rate of $500 per hour (which includes course materials and $525 per hour for the Principal preparation module; technology fees are another $150 per semester.
Aid and Scholarships for Masters Students
The university has a range of its own grants that form a $370,000 annual grant budget; it also works with the TEACH Federal scheme and has additional information on its website. Also see the Government’s league tables.
When you contact Walden, the team will send you a personalised fee schedule together with information about grants and loans. For more information, request a free information pack from Walden University to find out more about its range of language courses leading to a Masters degree.